Monday, February 14, 2011

Creative Writing

In 6th grade I remember writing a story with my best friends for an assignment we had to do.  The story was great- it had Garfield in it, the Animaniacs, Venom, a reference to some commercial that was on at the time- probably Koala Yummies- and I'm pretty sure they went to Chuck E Cheese.  All of my friends and I knew it was the best thing anyone had put on paper.  Who talked about this stuff in stories?  Nobody, that's who.  Kristina Whitmer was probably just writing about her stupid cat or her tip to Iowa.  The Mundane?  Not for us!  We were topical, zany, and rife with inside jokes.  I think Ren and Stimpy even made an appearance.  The paper was pretty much a guaranteed A. 
Mrs. Rolskie didn't think it was though.  She said that we needed to develop more of a "story", and put more "detail" into our paper.  Didn't she realize the significance of Garfield having a conversation with Donatello from the Ninja Turtles??  That wasn't something you got anywhere else.

Hey Mrs. Rolskie, I don't care how much character development and foreshadowing you have in your stories, or how many metaphors you can fit in- we were in 6th grade!  I bet your stories never had any of their characters breaking out into song with the X-Men or putting Marty Dinkel into a trash can.  Yeah, I know you were the teacher, and you probably couldn't write about putting Marty Dinkel into a trash can, him being in your class and all- but that's what would have made it that much cooler!  Come on, we know you didn't like him either.
Anyway, I know it's 20 some-odd years later, and this might seem kind of petty, so I just wanted to say that I forgive you.  I know you were just doing what you thought was your job, and heck- you probably didn't even watch the Animaniacs- as hard as that was for us to fathom.  So Mrs. Rolskie- you're off the hook.  Godspeed.





Oh, and I set your bushes on fire last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment