Sunday, March 27, 2011

Where's the Box for "Everything but your commercials. And chicken."?

Over the weekend during a basketball game I was watching I saw a Domino's pizza commercial where they were advertising about their special new chicken recipe.  It makes sense.  You're already selling a product that has nothing to do with chickens, why not throw them in there too?  I know I can't have a good pepperoni pie without thinking about chicken.
On this commercial they advertise that they want to "get it right", so much so that they send the chicken in a box with three boxes on it to check off.
















The commercial ends with the pizza man (chicken man?) acting all worried about these new boxes. 

....what?

I'm really confused as to what is expected of us.  Are we supposed to return our used boxes to our local Domino's with a box checked off?  Or is it implied that Domino's is going to dig through trash at the garbage dump looking for which box was checked on their chicken boxes?  Maybe the CEO is a little confused and thinks the boxes are somehow connected to the internet?  Either way, their stunt was dumb enough to get me talking about it, so enjoy your free publicity; if my reader orders some Domino's chicken tonight, mission accomplished.  However, they probably will do so without any respect for your marketing, and what, Domino's, is more priceless?  The $5.55 that your chicken costs with a 2 topping Medium pizza also at the low price of $5.55, or having people not have the impression that we, the customer are idiots?  Wait, don't answer that.

I'm also a little confused about the options on the box.  I know if I cooked dinner with someone and invited some guests over, fed them the dinner and then asked "Did we get it right?" if they replied with "Oh yes we did."  I'd be very perplexed as to their use of the word "we", since they had nothing to do with the cooking of the dinner.  I guess Domino's is trying to be hip?  Word.

4 comments:

  1. Omg...haha! So funny, you said "My reader" because I guess you are talking about me? I'll let you know tomorrow what I have for dinner tonight.

    Oh and speaking of Dominoe's commercials...what about the one where they have people in a 'private' focus group and they are all saying Dominoe's isn't good or their food isn't fresh and then all of sudden the walls come down and they are in the middle of the tomotoe field!!! And they are all shocked and suprised. My question has always been...How did they get into the trailor...or room...in the first place. Magic? I hate that commercial, it makes no sense!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey how do you spell Domino(e)'s anyway? Reeeh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Reeh"

    Haha!

    I'm pretty sure it's Domino's. (see box in picture above)

    And yeah- good point about those commercials where the walls fall apart- are you telling me the people int hat room wouldn't be able to tell they were hitched to a trailer and then moving? Liars!

    ReplyDelete