Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I'd Pay to See the Rubber Band in Concert

What happened to cartoons these days?  Back when I was little, it was great- we got to see animals partially clothed running around getting shot or getting anvils dropped on their heads.  If it wasn't for looney tunes, I wouldn't even know what an anvil was.  So what half the characters had speech impediments, the main human used words like "varmints" and Speedy Gonzales was offensive, (...or was he?  he was very fast and always outsmarted the stupid/partially crafty American cat....I haven't seen one in probably 15 years because they've been banned or frowned upon or something so I can't really say), I also learned a lot from Looney Tunes.

-If I ever need something delivered quickly, I will order it from ACME
-If I ever want something to work, I will NOT order it from ACME
-Road Runners are purple, about 4 feet tall, say "beep beep" and can run faster than cars and rockets.
-Rockets are only bright red, work the same way as dynamite, and you can ride on them.
-Umbrellas don't prevent boulders from crushing you, but probably at least soften the blow.
-Southern Roosters are jerks.
-Canaries are annoying.
-Humans are roughly the same size as a cat, rabbit, rooster, duck, coyote, and pig.
-Classical music is the most violent of all music.

Just to name a few.  Nowadays, what are kids learning?  Nothing!  Cartoons are just commercials.  And I know Dora the explorer gets picked on a lot...but she deserves it!  I knew how to find things that were sitting right in front of me, and I think it's better to go through life thinking if someone gets smashed behind a door, the worst thing that can happen to them is they turn into an accordion for roughly 2 seconds.


Everything was better about cartoons for us.  Look, as awful as "Speedy Gonzales: Los Gatos Banditos" was, I'm sure it was infinitely better than "Dora Super Spies"....well, no, actually, the Speedy Gonzales game is probably even worse than it looks, and I gotta admit that car Dora is building looks pretty cool, and that mole guy looks pretty funny.  Except I'm not sure why he has rooster hair.  Video game failures aside, I think that was part of the charm of the Looney Tunes gang- we didn't need the cartoons to be politically correct, or educational, or non-violent, or "hip" by being on a video game.  They were outrageous characters in outrageous situations, they were there to make us laugh and only to make us laugh, and that's what made them so great. 

Although I will admit, I never really did like Bugs Bunny.  He was kind of a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment